Sunday, December 26, 2004

My First Christmas Tree



Because of a series of events, Helen and I hosted the family Christmas party. We were glad to do it, but also a bit nervous because we're generally hermits who don't allow people into our yard let alone our house. We're known for not answering the front door because all of our friends know to come in the back. Still, we scrubbed the kitchen (mostly) and even dusted random objects in the living room.

Most surprising to family and friends, we cleaned our "storage room" so we could set up a table in the room. The "storage room" is really the formal dining room in our house. We never use it because we eat in our well-lit breakfast nook in summer and sitting on the couch in winter (the breakfast nook gets a bit too cold because of the windows and we don't want to take the time to heat it for a quick dinner).

Well, this post is really about my first Chistmas tree. I've never had one before, and Helen doesn't really like them enough to get one and put it up. But because we were hosting the family Christmas, we had to have a tree. So, we borrowed Helen's parents fake tree and a bunch of ornaments from her sister and brother-in-law, Rhonda and Matt. One night last week, Rhonda and Matt came over and helped set up the tree. Well, Rhonda and Helen set up the tree. Matt and I sat on the couch and talked about Matt's fantasy football team. So we have a tree.

I think the most interesting thing of having a tree is that I don't really care. I don't love it or hate it. I can't even say I like or dislike it. It's just there. I think the only thing I can say is it takes up space. Maybe I just don't get it.

2 comments:

Jacob said...

Hey, is this thing on? Testing. . . testing. . . one, two, three. . .testing.

Steven D. Krause said...

It's on, it's on...

Pretty good start, but next time, you need a real tree. Much more of a pleasant overall experience, including the nasty clean-up at the end of the season.